With this awesome new core set comes some fantastic models for Space Marine Players - Okay, well not for Deathwatch and Grey Knights - which can take advantage of army specific rules using the
Jake sent me the model contents of the new core box, so that I could get to playing with putting them together and painting them up. I decided, since I have 3 different Space Marine Armies; Imperial/Crimson Fists, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves, that the core box's Primaris Marines would be split up among the armies.
For Imperial Fists, I went with an Primaris Intercessor Squad, as well as a Lieutenant.
During assembly, I decided that I wanted a different head to mark out the sergeant, so swapped for a metal IF head with wreath. This will mirror what I have in my IF tactical squads.
Using the Primaris Lieutenant with the helmetless, head, I carefully cut the helmet from his hip, and put some standard SM pouches in place instead.I cut it off with my larger clippers, once about even with the head crest, second time, right below the eyes, and then the third cut was right where the helmet met the hip. I filed the rougher edges, and then just glued the pouch into place.
I started off with white primer, airbrushed on.
Followed with a coat of airbrushed GW Yriel Yellow, and a lighter coat of GW Bad Moons Yellow. This was followed by a super thinned wash of GW Agrax Earthshade. I cut it down about 1 part wash with 3 parts GW Lahmian Medium. Lahmian Medium helps to keep the properties of the wash, but reduces the pigment load.
Next step is to start blocking in the colors. Extra care is needed to that the yellow isn't touched. GW Mephiston Red for helmet, kneepad, and pauldron edges. VGC Beast brown for pouches, and then GW Leadbelcher for the bolt rifle, joint areas, and chest eagle. I then painted the casing of the bolt rifle with GW Mechanicus Battle Grey.
All of these areas were given a wash of GW Nuln Oil. As this was drying, I cleaned up the areas where the wash on the yellow pooled. This took 5 or 6 thin coats to get it back to a clear, bright yellow!
Helmet wreath was painted with GW Moot Green, then a GW Biel Tan green wash was applied. Eyes and wax seals were painted with GW Caledor Sky, and given a wash of GW Drakenhoff Nightshade. After everything was dry, I applied GW waterslide decals, using steps I will cover in a future tutorial.
And here is the squad finished, and the bases were being started. I am doing these to match the other parts of the Imperial Fists Army I have.
As a size comparison, here is the Primaris Lieutenant next to a Cataphractii Terminator. Both are on a 40mm base, and head to head, the Primaris Lieutenant is taller!
Really digging these models!